Sunday, June 1, 2014

My First 3D Print!

So the *other* ZBrush Workshops course I was enrolled in was "3D printing for artists", hosted by Pixologic's own Joseph Drust.  This week I got my finished piece(s) shipped to me after having them printed through Sculpteo, woop!  So diving straight in, here they are!


Yep, Slimer from Ghostbusters.  Technically from the IDW comics version of Ghostbusters.  An old sculpt tidied up (improved musculature, creases, and hopefully appeal.)  Here's a quick ZBrush render:


The joints in the first shot are standard revoltech joints.  I've had to cannibalise some of my regular action figures for them, but that's fine, someone else made those hah.  Here's some closeups to show off the multicolour material:



As far as materials go it was a good choice for colour purposes, but it has literally zero give in it, and is quite heavy (despite the body being hollowed out, what a mission that was!)  I did test filing down some of the ridges, but it took too much colour off, so stopped that pretty quick!  The material is akin to ceramic, and as such has really good compression strength.  However, not so good if you are trying to twist in joints into holes that have set a hiccup too small.  Here's a pristine hand, and after me screwing in a joint.



D'oh.  Then I promptly went and did the same with his other hand.  They're not even symmetrical pieces!  Ah well, live and learn.  Next print will be in the Sculpteo plastic material.  Interesting to see the cross section of the multicolour material though.  It shows how deep the colour goes.  Anyways, after a bit of judicious gluing and a lot of not so gentle wearing away at the holes with watchmaker's screwdrivers, here's the finished piece:


That, is pretty cool.  Note the tongue, it's on a joint, although due to me angling the hole so I couldn't get access straight on (the hole points at the pallete rather than forward, silly design decision) it's not as perfect as I'd like, and I don't want to start twisting it to pose it in case the torque does bad things to the eggshell of his body.

And finally, a source, ZBrush, print pic all in one.


Learnt a lot from the course, and it's really fired up my drive for getting more stuff made "real".  Next project is actually almost finished, and will be in plastic, so will hopefully be even more refined.

5 comments:

  1. Is there a link to the 3d printing for artists course?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caitlin, thanks for the compliment :-). The course was done through ZBrushWorkshops:

      http://www.zbrushworkshops.com/

      But it doesn't look like they're running it at the moment. One to keep an eye on. They're good at sending stuff if you give them your email address.

      Delete
  2. hey man, can u make me a slimer ? message me at koddie247@live.be

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey man, can u make me a slimer ? message me at koddie247@live.be

    ReplyDelete