Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Stylised Lord Summerisle 3D Print.

And now something different!  Inspired by a line of vinyl toys called "Vinyl Idolz" I thought I would give aping their style a go but for a character that I would like to have done in that style.  So of course I picked Christopher Lee's Lord Summerisle, from The Wicker Man.  In his pose from the end of the movie that any google search would yield ya.  Here he is:



Neat huh?  Sumer Is Icumen In!  Created using my standard ZBrush to Sculpteo workflow.  It's a shame his build has been fraught with issues.  I had hoped to have him completed by the May Day bank holiday coincide with the film's timeline but ah well.  The jacket piece, in a resin that was a new material for me, I managed to snap trying to wedge the jumper chest in place.  Then the reprinted jacket came and was a surprisingly terrible quality so I had to get that part printed three times in all.  Also the chest piece needed to be re-done to actually fit in the middle.  This is the first print I've done that has had this level of issues, and I think it was down to me getting cocky.  Don't get cocky!  Lessons learned though.  He's a hiccup over 6" tall from soles of his shoes to the tips of his fingers.  A nice size.

I like:

  • That he is precisely how I would expect a Vinyl Idolz Lord Summerisle to look!
  • That hair.  Lots of curve tubes with a ton of refinement.
  • He stands on his own.  A bit difficult to gauge when he's still at the virtual stage.
  • The curve going from his ankles to his head.  It's a nice action line.

I dislike:

  • Something's up with his feet pegs, they should be more flush with his trousers.  I think it's something to do with having the plastic dyed when it's not had all the dust removed from the internals.
  • That it took three goes to get the chest / jumper working.
  • My miniature painting skills are very rusty, but I've mostly got away with it.

So this might be the last graphics post for a bit.  My next project is most likely going to be an iPhone game so not really part of the creative geometry remit.  I may post stuff about that here too though, it should lend itself to screenshots although it'll be 2D and sprite based.

No comments:

Post a Comment