Saturday, December 24, 2016

Merry Chimpmas!

This year's Xmas cards then.  Like last year, based on a silly gag.  The inside of the card was just going to have ooks and eeks but I tempered myself and added some English words.  He wasn't necessarily going to have fur but Daniel Bystedt's great furry character tutorial was on YouTube so I followed that for pointers.  Also I tried messing with the hue of the finished chimp to see if purple made more sense.  It did not!  No turntable for this, the back's complete but you're not really gaining anything.


Having said that about the turntable, here's an alternative.  I went through my incrementally saved projects and rendered out what they looked like at the time.  So you have, going clockwise:

  1. Initial block out, I really do start with circles cylinders and rings.
  2. Hands and feet.
  3. Merge and remesh from many pieces into head and body pieces.
  4. Remesh the head (a technical step that doesn't lend itself to a screenshot)
  5. Head adjustment and body paint.
  6. Head paint.
  7. Body pose, banana creation, hat shape, insert curve brush fairy lights.
  8. Hat refinement, bulb materials.
  9. Hat bobbles, bulb inflation.
  10. Head refinement and pose, new eyes, bulb inflation, material and light work.
  11. Fibres!

I like:

  • The fur!  Three separate sets of fibres: Close and dense fur, specific longer fur (thighs, ears etc), and sparse long fur for variation.  Very pleased with it.
  • Those blocky squared off hands and feet.  Just what I was aiming for.
  • The background, I remembered to add a shape for interest.
  • The folds in the hat; largely started with very low level cylinder geometry pushed around to keep quads of the same row the same relative size, just like real cloth would  if it was quadded.

I dislike:

  • Getting a really nice noise for the wrapped banana but then when it applied (or rendered) it broke my geometry, so I had to switch it off.  It looked just like slightly crumpled wrapping paper!
  • The bulb placement (despite being an elegant solution) was a bit inelegant on the final composite.

Happy Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment